Before starting a fight:
- Buff with food: Sleeper Sushi (+125 mastery) > Savage Feast (+100 mastery)
- Buff with flask: Greater Draenic Intellect Flask (+250 intellect) > Draenic Intellect Flask (+200 intellect)
- Buff with rune: Empowered Augment Rune (+50 intellect) = Focus Augment Rune (+50 intellect)
- Make sure you have Water Shield up on yourself
- Cast Earth Shield on the tank
- Prepot: Draenic Intellect Potion (+1000 intellect)
Your basic healing rotation:
Weave (fill) with:
- Chain Heal, need I say more?
- Healing Surge, if you need to be fast.
- Healing Wave, if your mana is strained.
- Healing Rain, if you’re bored, full of mana and your raid is nicely stacked (it is just a little bit expensive on your mana, and not super powerful).
In general, alternating Chain Heal and Riptide (generating Tidal Waves) with Healing Surge and Healing Wave (spending Tidal Waves) is beneficial. However, with set bonuses and preferable trinkets, you can resort to pretty much nothing but a Riptide / Chain Heal spam (which nets you a strong output). Do know that the class is build up in a way to facilitate a healthy use of all of these spells. Especially in a gearing / progressing environment. It will benefit your longevity and performance to get a feeling for ‘when’ to use ‘what’ spell (and to keep alternating). Just consider the general focus to be on Chain Heal and Riptide.
Also, know that Healing Surge and Healing Wave heal just as much. Healing Surge however is faster, but costs more mana. Healing Wave is cheaper, but slower. When you are alternating all these spells, you will find yourself generating and spending Tidal Waves. For Healing Surge this means a higher chance of critting the spell (critting returns mana). For Healing Wave this means casting it faster. Making both these spells equal in mana spent, time cast, and amount healed (except that crits heal for more than non-crits – in favor of Healing Surge). Consider yourself a shaman version of Jamie Oliver: a little bit of this and a little bit of that – alternated with Chain Heal on ‘full whack’.
Your cooldown rotation:
- When the whole group is taking continuous damage, use a cooldown:
- Speed up fights, and help large trash pack pulls by using the haste group cooldown: Heroism / Bloodlust – you can benefit from this every 10 minutes, although you can cast it on a 5 minute cooldown. This means that, if people died and have been ressed, you can recast it for them to benefit again.
Your movement rotation:
- Always.. keep.. casting! Seriously: always keep casting.
- Use Spiritwalker’s Grace (2 minute cooldown);
- If that is on cooldown, use Unleash Life (speed increase) + Riptide (instant cast) + Flame Shock (instant cast);
- If none of the above is available, either just walk or maaaybe use Ghost Wolf. Actually, are you sure you can’t stand still and keep casting?
Your dps rotation (cause why not xD):
- Fire Elemental Totem, and if it is not available: Searing Totem
- Flame Shock
- Elemental Blast
- Lava Burst
- Lightning Bolt
- If more than 1 target: Chain Lightning
Excelling at resto shaman gameplay:
- Interrupt casts with Wind Shear
- Prevent casts and damage taken, by stunning a group of mobs with Capacitor Totem
- Remove buffs on enemy targets (if possible) with Purge
- Remove debuffs on friendly targets with Purify Spirit
- Crowd-controlling a dangerous mob by using Hex
- Slow groups of mobs with Earthbind Totem
- Absorb enemy casts with Grounding Totem
- Removing slows on yourself and your team with Windwalk Totem
- Prevent and / or remove sleep/fear/charm effects with Tremor Totem
A little bit more explanation per spell:
Chain Heal. This is our mana spender for AoE healing. It will be your dearest spell during this tier, so give it lots of love and use it willingly. Because of how our 4 piece set bonus works, you can also micro-manage Chain Heal, by applying a second riptide to specific people.
Healing Rain. You have to be aware of how the value of this spell fluctuates. This depends on a few factors: how many people are going to stand in it, will it be used for the full duration, how much time will people spend in there with full health.
Unleash Life. This will give you 30% increased effectiveness on your next single target heal, and additionally it will give you Enhanced Unleash, which is going to make this spell valuable. You don’t really want to cast this spell in a stationary position, because it isn’t as strong as casting any other heal. This means that you want to pop it simply to get the movement speed increase. Should be used over Ghost Wolf, if this alone provides enough speed to move out of the way. It will provide you with the required movement speed with one global cooldown and still unleash your next heal.
Earth Shield. Keep on tanks or other players that need immense single target healing. Don’t bother to swap it around if you’re only gonna cast a few heals on it.
Keehn: ‘Personally, I don’t even bother swapping it around between tanks.’
Dorelei: ‘You’re not alone..’.
Halu: ‘Earth shield exists?’
Lava Burst. As mentioned before, in case there is not a lot of healing going on, you can always do a little damage.