Time to put myself on blast! Please critique me with no shame.

Homepage Forums Link your logs Time to put myself on blast! Please critique me with no shame.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mizix 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Rillao
    Participant

Warcraft Logs

Progression on Iskar(H), followed by downing him finally.

Few things I’ve observed/would like to note:

a) Just recently made the switch from Echoes back to AS; while I’m getting better at using AS, I’m not using it enough.
    b) While I used to think I did super terribly, I try to remind myself that most logging tools do not account for emulsion
    c) I do not have a Phylactery or my 4p bonus
    d) Dumb mistakes here and there; e.g. forgetting I have SG and not using it when I’m moving.
    e) Heavy-casting fights (like Iskar) I have problems remembering to ES
    f) Sometimes end up using chain heal on a target with RT

Here’s my Thursday log for comparison (Manno/Arch Normal, up to Kilrogg H):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JwFAfXY2zvaK9c7r

First time doing Mannoroth on something other than LFR, so that was fun.

Thanks for your time and consideration. =]

Carolodar
    Participant

Not an expert, but why not exchange opinions while said experts aren’t here yet. πŸ˜‰ So, on Iskar and Gorefiend you went oom long before the fight ended with less than optimal EB uptime. On Iskar it’s just 18%! That surely hurt your numbers.
    Your chain heal hit nearly 5 people on average in both fights, that’s not bad but for non-spread fights like these could still be better. Maybe only use AS when you have your 4p…? The 4p will end any riptide shortage you might have, until then, why not use Echoes? The other things are just details in my eyes but maybe others can give more insight than me. πŸ™‚

Keehn
    Participant

Hey Rillao most shameful review incoming! πŸ˜€

Let’s start with the casting of our minor cooldowns.First of all your Riptides are quite low, getting this up will also benefit the amount of chain heal bounces you’re able to get. To put it in perspective Riptide has a 5 second cooldown and you’re casting it on average every ~12-20 seconds. This means you will have a lot of wasted potential casts of riptide, you lose the direct output of the spell and the effectiveness of high tide.
    Healing Stream Totem should also be cast a lot more frequently, you are casting it on average every ~50 seconds. It will give quite a bit more of ‘passive’ healing and it is smart heal, so the amount of overhealing it will do is going to be minimal.
    Elemental Blast use is also pretty low. You have an uptime of around 8% on some of the bosses and 18% on others, this leaves you with a huge untabbed pool of mana, when you have the potential of 50%+ uptime of Elemental Blast. (Just like Carolodar said)

On some of the fights you can be a tad more aggressive with spending mana, you end with more than half your mana left on Kilrogg and that is without using a regen potion. Now imagine if you turned the 8% elemental blast uptime into 30 or 40%, you would’ve had a lot more mana and been able to cast an abundance of chain heals. If you see yourself sitting on a lot of mana throughout the fight, you should consider skipping the mana potion and spending an intellect potion instead, so you can get more value out of your healing tide.

Major cooldowns could be used a bit better. The goal is to pop them early and frequently, this will not only increase your numbers, but it will also save all healers a bit of mana because it will loosen the strain. I am looking at the thursday logs right now, it is pretty clear that you are using especially Ascendance on awkward moments, on two of the bosses it did ~30k healing in total. On top of that healing tide doing less than a million is far from desired.
    You could use them a bit more, only having a single use of every cooldown on a 5+ minute bossfight is painful.

Yeah it is pretty dumb not to use Spiritwalker’s Grace, it is amazing for movement and with the glyph, you can use it pretty much every time you’re forced to move for longer periods.
    It will be an incredible tool for you once you get comfortable with it, it might take a few pulls on bosses before you know when it is most valuable, but you should just pop it almost every time you have to move for more than a global. This will at least help give you the muscle memory of pressing the spell every now and then, after that you can plan it out a bit better to improve your active time.

You should try to use Healing Surge a bit less, I see it being cast a lot, Chain Heal should almost be your most casted heal. I know it might not feel as strong now without 4p, but it is still our highest output spell (looking at Iron Reaver and Kilrogg).
    You might not know it, but the 2 additional jumps coming from High Tide has a slightly larger jump range than chain heal usually do, so as long as you have a lot of riptides up and running, you should be able to get some value from it.

Earth Shield is not that important to be honest, it should be kept up 100% of the time if you ask me though, but we have split opinions (Halu only casts it pre pull and never uses it again). Right now it feels like a gimmicky spell and it’s really underwhelming in the current state, I would personally love to see it either removed or remade.

I think it’s a great idea to use AS, but it will take some practice to master it compared to Echoes. Echoes is a lot more forgiving regarding using riptides optimally, although that will go away as soon as your muscles learn to press riptide on cooldown. The second this happens, AS will have far more value for you in almost any case, since Echoes will only give you another charge of SLT at that point.

Rillao
    Participant

Huh, somehow I missed I wasn’t keeping up with HST and RT, thank you. EB is really hit or miss with me; I know the rule of thumb is to keep it on cooldown, but on Thursday’s Mannoroth I tried to use it as much as possible and it felt like it was gimping my output for an excess of regen.

I’m super torn on the Emulsion trinket, looking over the logs I see it’s powerful on some fights; but I dislike how hard it is to even get info on the overall healing done by it from the logs. Still getting used to healing with the paladin and druid, but I think my performance increased a little from Thursday, for sure. Thanks a ton for looking at my logs! I’m sure I’ll have more up in the near future. =]

Rillao
    Participant

Did lower citadel tonight on Heroic, figured I’d post up my logs for ruthless shaming again. I feel like my EB uptime has increased, probably not to ideal levels, but eh. I haven’t figured out a way to reliably understand HST/RT uptime in the logs. In other news, I did manage to pick up a heroic Felspark tonight (warforged to boot!) and another IG, but heroic this time. my IG usage is still borderline =/ Thanks in advance, as always. =]

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wL3kjKTrgn4qy2GV

Mizix
    Participant

The second this happens, AS will have far more value for you in almost any case, since Echoes will only give you another charge of SLT at that point.

Eww Keehn, you underestimate how much of a difference an extra SLT can make in a regular, non-mythic, not-top-of-the-pack guild πŸ˜› I wish I had another extra charge sometimes…

To Rillao, if you still keep forgetting to use abilities on cd, be it EB or HST, try setting a very loud/incredibly annoying sound to your weakaura for when the spell comes off the cooldown. I did that at the beginning of WoD, when I came back healing after a whole expansion break, it took me a few raids to get muscle-memory: I was desperate for my HST to stop meowing so loud!;-)

As far as EB goes, what I did was to force myself to use it always on cooldown – same technique – even when I really just wanted to heal instead, until I got comfortable with my mana regean in a given fight and understood when I could skip a cast or two.

Dorelei
      Keymaster

Eww Keehn, you underestimate how much of a difference an extra SLT can make in a regular, non-mythic, not-top-of-the-pack guild ? I wish I had another extra charge sometimes…

I get what you mean I really do. When you start raiding, damage seems to be random and continuous. It feels like if you bring more healers, you have a better chance of defeating the boss (hence 2/4/9 groups). Then as you move up in the raiding scene, you seem to be somewhat in control of damage taken as a group. You are aware of some moments in the fight where you need to use certain cooldowns. Groups even end up plannning SLT, Tranq or HTT for fixed moments in the fight.

As you move to the top of raiding, every bit of unnecessary damage is avoided (during progress, not talking about the ranking padding that’s going on right now). You start dropping to the bare minimum of healers (close to theoretically) needed. Because the faster the kill, the better. The faster adds/miniboss/boss dies, the highest chance of killing something cutting edge.

Context matters, and that especially goes for SLT and its charges. As I regularly join friends across all levels of raiding, I have a lot of fun padding the continuous damage in semi-random teams. In my main team I don’t use double charges on SLT unless I’m specifically told (Mannoroth). Without AS, I can’t keep up with the sniping power, let alone get a decent rank (again ranking is pretty much a 1 healer situation atm, and for DPS and speedkills 0 healing).

Mizix
    Participant

I must admit I am not conservative at all with my cooldowns. I just use them as often as possible – on progress – and my raiding team still takes a lot of unnecessary damage, thus SLT is really powerful in our situation. Actually, the change to Echo was a god sent for us! What I struggle with, is to convince our officers to bring less healers… We do plan our raid-healing cooldowns pretty good but always run with too many healers during progression. It is both frustrating and boring πŸ™

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.