Reigniting my love for this playstyle

Homepage Forums Link your logs Reigniting my love for this playstyle

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Keehn 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Hence
    Participant

Hey there. I’ve been struggling recently(the past months or so) with no motivation to play/heal/raid.. Anything! So my performance has been.. to put it bluntly, dogshit. Since I had the mindset that I wasn’t a valuable raid member anyways I shouldn’t bother with riptide/ele blast management as long as nobody dies, as well chain healing into myself etc. so I’ve been trying to work away from that these past resets, and reignite my love for the resto shaman playstyle.

Logs from last night(Was sitting out where I could, so I’m not in for all fights): Logs

Noticing as I’m focusing on not chain healing into myself, I’m forgetting to cast riptide and ele blast on cd.
    TLDR; What I’m looking for it basically some tips on how to improve as a player as I’ve been struggling to keep the class enjoyable.

Razorcrab
    Participant

I’m not claiming to be a super awesome top notch shaman, but I noticed a few things 🙂

– Your ele blast uptime is 29%, so there is room for improvement there

– You cast 29 riptides during the fight. When I killed this yesterday (getting carried by new guild), I had 60 riptide casts, and the fight lasted only 5 seconds longer than your kill. You did heal more than I did though 🙂

– Did you only use Ascendance once? If so, there would probably be a good use for it another place in the fight

HST drops seems fine, and mana management seems good to me at least.

I truly hope you start enjoying your shaman again though! Now we have an awesome site like this to go to after getting sniped the shit out of by a disc 😀

Hence
      Participant

Thank you Razorcrab, looking back at this I really could have done a lot better haha. Need to make it so that my ele blast makes a sound when it’s off cd ;P

Hence
    Participant

To update this with some logs for today, would love feedback as I tried to push for ranks more:
    We were going for speed rankings so “underhealed” most of the fights.

Keehn
    Participant

To be completely honest I too am having a hard time loving my shaman during farm periods, especially when we’re not out exploring more ‘exciting’ ways of doing the bosses. 😀
    There is nothing like the thrill of solohealing a boss. I hope we’ll see a lot more of that come 6.2.3 and valor upgrades, so far I’ve only done Kormrok by myself.

Can give your logs some attention over the weekend, might not be a quality review since guildparty due to blizzcon = drunk nerds most likely.

Keehn
    Participant

Okay time for some reviewing.

With pure ranking in mind, I don’t understand why you didn’t just soloheal Kormrok, it is completely doable (speaking from experience). We did green and then purple, was pretty straightforward to heal. You could’ve used an intellect potion as well, together with being a bit more aggressive with chain heal, you still had a good chunk of mana left ~60k. I think you could’ve used Ascendance a bit better too, it barely did any healing at all. Sometimes it seems like you cast Unleash just to cast it, instead of applying it to movement purposes. I would’ve picked Ancestral Swiftness for ranking purposes as well, Echo won’t really do anything for your numbers really, compared to the 5% haste and instant cast.

Generally looking on logs:

Riptides are slightly low across the board, they should be cast quite a bit more frequently especially when considering that you are running with Echo.
    Healing Stream Totem looks a bit low as well imo. Having times between casts to range between 36-60 seconds is definitely something to look at. Should just be used whenever it comes up.
    On the bosses where you actually did use Elemental Blast it could’ve been used more, when looking at your uptimes of 22-34%.

For Iron Reaver when you have such a fast kill, you might just pick up Primal Elementalist and get the buffs from these. I would consider this quite a bit stronger than UF. And you could probably easily 2 heal the fight as well. Additionally for Iron Reaver you barely used any mana, looks most like you were there only to aid with Healing Tide.

On some of the logs it looks like you are casting Unleash Life just because it’s there and it’s ready to be used. But on other fights you are using it with more thought. Just be careful not to make it a habit of casting it on cooldown and just save it for movement purposes.

Mana curves look alright, fine descent and potions being used. This can’t be said about that one Iron Reaver kill though.

Overall Echo of the Elements is a relic of the past in terms of playstyle, the talent will not grant you that much outside of an additional use of SLT, and thus Ancestral Swiftness will be that much stronger. I would advice you to try it out, it will most likely give better numbers and getting used to casting Riptide on cooldown will only make this stronger. 5% haste and an instant cast once in a while is makes the class feel more fluent.

Hence
      Participant

Hello, and thanks for looking through my logs. 🙂 In terms of two-healing Kormrok it’s basically because of our tactic(RL is very aggressive and dislikes any other tactic than what he wants to do), having the holy paladin doing empowered runes by himself. Ascendance I used with HTT(As far as I remember), since my raid leader instructed me to. He’s scary and I don’t like speaking up, which is also part of the reason I haven’t been able to solo-heal it yet.
      Speaking of Unleash Life, do you use it anywhere else other than as a speed-boost? I thought it was worth it to give that boost to a heal when needed like on gorefiend etc. but reading what you’ve written I’m not all that sure.

Iron Reaver is definitely the fight I dislike the most, I don’t like the barrages, I don’t like the spread out raid, I just don’t like it hehe and this might show in my performance there? Since I read this, I have switched out of echo on my main, however I still keep it on my alt(also rshaman) because of the kill-timers/gear of our other alts. I always ran Ancestral Swiftness up until 6.2, and I’d forgotten how smooth it felt with the on-demand instand cast! >.<

Keehn
        Participant

Aw well that is a bit of a shame with your RL, but if that’s how it is there’s not a lot to do about it.

I use Unleash inside the belly on Gorefiend, right as I have topped a spirit and run to catch the newly spawned one, but outside of that I mostly use it purely for the movement speed it grants. I see the healing increase as more of an added benefit to running to my destination faster than an actual tool, because of how weak the heal portion of the spell is. There are moments where you can pop it pre-maturely for an incoming big hit on the group, it just requires the group to be almost topped already. If that is not the case, you’re better off casting another heal.

I agree with Iron Reaver, that boss is just a pain. Just wait until hunters get class trinket and demands to stand at max range……… You might just remove them from your raid frames! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.