New(ish) player looking for insight

Home Forums Link your logs New(ish) player looking for insight

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keehn Keehn 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of LightCupcake
    LightCupcake
    Participant

Hello all a little about me first:
    I started playing wow in October 2015 and instantly fell in love with Resto Shaman after crying leveling a disc priest.
    Fast forward a bit…with a lot of help from a good friend I was able to level and get geared fast to do HFC on my own within a month.
    This same friend eventually got me into a guild where we are 7/13M(I joined before they started mythic) and I believe we are doing very well
    I didn’t know ring was a thing untill a few weeks ago so Im on my first week of HFC quest part now.

I really wan’t to believe my friend is right when he says. “you’re really improving/doing well” but by getting benched sometimes I feel this may not be the case entirely. I have the oppurtunity to replace our Rdruid for a main healer spot, according to RL and GL, however i dont see this happening with me getting benched.

So with my rant done :3 I would like someone to critique my logs:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/60599 seeing as I don’t really know how to read them well myself
    (Please be critical and tell me if im doing piss poor or not! I wanna earn raidspot and make my friend proud for getting me into the guild! Thanks fellow Shamans!)

Profile photo of Dorelei
    Dorelei
    Keymaster

Well hello there LightCupcake!

Raiding, especially on mythic, is something that you need to learn a lot of things for. There are basic skills which you can practice in other games or perhaps MMO’s specifically. But generally, it takes practice, time and effort. In mythic, any gap in your skill set will be magnified and have impact on the group’s performance. I guess wat I want to say is.. don’t feel defeated if you won’t be chosen over the druid. All your efforts aside, it is possible that you end up in over your head. There’s a large amount of guilds out there, each with their own goals and performing in their own bracket. When you’re a new player, help from others (and also the info on this site) will help you go through the learning curve a lot quicker then you would on your own. But practice is vital – get every single bit of experience healing raids that you can. Please don’t feel like you’re letting anyone down if it seems like you’re not quite there yet. Making the effort is what should make them proud – not your actual performance.

That aside, I’ll poke our log guru Keehn to see if he can spare some time to run through your logs. In the meantime, make yourself at home on our website. There should be plenty of info hidden away for you to give food for thought. Check the UI section perhaps – it might give you some ideas. New player UI’s can get a little bit buggy and can get in their way sometimes.

Profile photo of Keehn
    Keehn

LightCupcake, let’s get onto it. (Going from the most recent Gorefiend pulls)

First of all you are overhealing the encounter, 5 healers for Gorefiend was only useful when it was early on in progress and gear was very tight. Shamans are those who takes the biggest hit when overhealing content due to how tightly our output is linked to our mastery.

Riptide is being used as often as it should with only a slight deviation from the cooldown of the actual spell.
    Healing Stream Totem could be used better, on average around 40 seconds between casts.
    The distribution of spells other than that is very single target oriented. You shouldn’t be afraid to throw plenty of chain heals. Furthermore you should take advantage of how you position during feasts and cast healing rain more frequently, it should be down 100% of the time during feast of souls. A single time or not at all on Gorefiend is not good enough.
    Try to use your class ability Gift of the Naaru don’t underestimate it’s potency, it can do upwards of 1% of your total healing if not more if used throughout a fight.

You barely cast Healing Tide Totem, this might be because you’re running a healer too many, simply rendering it useless because you’re never really in danger. This is resulting in a massive loss of potential healing. Make a nice rotation between healers and cast them in order, just line them up so you have a cooldown to take over when the previous one runs out and see if you have cooldowns to cover the entire phase.

Mana seems to be a non issue and I think this stems in not being super aggressive with Chain Heal, if upping the casts of those it might be needed to cast Elemental Blast more often (which admittedly is a bit low from the logs). You’re also not using any potions on the longer pulls, meaning that mana will disappear faster leading to the need of a potion. You could also go for the other option of using an intellect potion together with one of your cooldowns, although I wouldn’t recommend this for longer fights. Just be aggressive and adjust when you see that you’re oom.

Unleash Life, be careful not to use it just because you can see that it’s off cooldown. This spell in particular should only be used when you’re forced to relocate, the output in itself when stationary simply doesn’t compete with that of any other spell we have. I see some times where you use it for movement and sometimes where you pop it without moving.
    Sometimes Spiritwalker’s Grace is not being used on encounters lasting longer than 5 minutes. Just make it a habit to use it whenever movement is required and then after having made a few pulls you’ll know where it is needed more than others and from that you can determine when it’s necessary and when it’s not. During Feast when cleansing the debuff is an ideal scenario to use it.

Experience will automatically make it better, so just keep at it and it will improve. Hope it was of any help and makes any sense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.