New to Resto Shaman; Looking for feedback

Homepage Forums Link your logs New to Resto Shaman; Looking for feedback

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nihilith 12 months ago.

• Author

stuke00
    Participant

Hello,
    I am a new Resto Shaman healer.  I’ve previously healed as a Holy Paladin and a Disc Priest back in Vanilla-Wotlk raiding days and recently picked the game back up for Legion.  Could not stand how Paladin’s are today, so I fell in love with the idea of healing with water spells and made myself a Shaman.  I cannot stop playing this class! I love it so much and plan on playing it into Legion.

I recently joined a guild who has good raid times for me and went on a Heroic HFC run, my first real raid since Wotlk.  Only my 2nd time in this raid as well, the first being LFR.

They gave me a link to my logs but I am having a hard time understanding what it’s trying to tell me.  My perf % for example on Iron Reaver is at 16% while the other Resto Shaman is at 91%.  Obviously he has better gear, but is that all that is playing a role here?  I want to make sure I am performing optimally and I am sure more practice as I level will help too.  Any advice would be great, thanks!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/15558653/latest

nihilith
    Participant

Hello!

Welcome to the awesomeness of the resto shaman, long may you stay.

I’m just going to give you some general tips/things to think about. For personal reasons I don’t have the brain function required at the moment to do in-depth log analysis and there are people here that I’m sure are more adept at it than myself.

First I’d suggest reading through the talent and the roation sections on the website found here:

Talents and glyphs at Legion launch

Our casting rotation at Legion launch

– I noticed you’re using Wellspring as a talent, it’s very mana intensive and I wouldn’t recommend it with your gear, also if you use it, it’s best to pair it with CBT (Cloudburst Totem) talent. I’d suggest going with High Tide instead.

– As a general rule I’d recommend using CBT over Echo as a talent. Although there are some instances in which Echo could be useful. Bottomless Depths is generally not a great option unless you have a fight like Tyrant.

– Level 75 talents is more fight dependant, they all have their use. I personally really like EST (Earthen Shield Totem) and use it on the fights that I can.

– Level 60 talents is also very encounter dependant. Ancestral Guidance and Deluge are both valid options and depends more on the fight than anything. Crashing Waves is great for 5-mans or any instance where you do much more single target healing.

– You’re using a lot of Healing Surges, which is not advised unless necessary since it’s very mana intensive, weave with Healing Wave instead (making use of Tidal Waves) and only use Surge if you really need it, ie someone is super low on health and they need to get back up fast.

Gear will always be a factor, especially trinkets and set bonuses. And the ilevel difference between you two is fairly significant, also the person has 2-set, 4-set, Demonic Phylactery trinket and the legendary ring. Although it’s not everything. I suggest taking the time to try and understand logs, it will help you in the future, there is a log analysis section on here (a bit outdated in terms of spells but a lot of the points still stand). You can also check out Tuskeh’s video found here: Warcraft Logs: A Beginner’s Guide

– Things to look at: Casts, if you’re casting spells on cooldown (HST, CBT; Riptide etc.). Proper CD usage (co-ordinate with the other healers to get the maximu out of your combined CDs). Are you running out of mana due to overcasting expensive spells? Are you making use of Tidal Waves?

I hope this helps you a little bit. Do ask if you’re unsure about anything I wrote.

stuke00
    Participant

Great thank you, that helps a lot.  I think it was just my anxiety in the new dungeon which is why I kept falling to healing surge.  I generally do try and avoid it when possible.  Do you keep riptide going on the tank at all times or freely use that on any member of the raid?

Also, any recommended add-ons for monitoring cooldowns on HST, CBT, Riptide, and Healing Rain?

nihilith
    Participant

Depends. If I have the AV talent I tend to keep it rolling on the tanks to make sure they always have the AV buff. Otherwise I tend to just put it on whoever needs it the most/going to need it the most. I find it’s something you get a feel for with time and practice.

I found proving grounds useful for getting used to a new healing class in a stress free environnement. It’s how I got to grips with resto druid when I decided I was going to give that a whirl. Even though you don’t use the same talents for PG as you do raids, as a general rule, I do find it gives you practice and a feel for the toolkit of a class and you can try out different talent set-ups and interface changes etc.

I personally use weak auras. There are some here on chainheal.com you can look at, I’ll probably get a picture up of my own UI at some point today if you’d like to see what mine looks like.

Anxiety can have an annoying habit of doing that, luckily it’s something that gets better with time though 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.