New to healing

Home Forums Link your logs New to healing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nihilith nihilith 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mamabeär
    Jalliya
    Participant

Hi, all! I’ve been reading up on the logs posted this expansion on the forums, and although I’ve yet to get into any mythics, my guild has now cleared all of normal EN and we’re attempting to start progressing in heroics. This is my first time playing any healing class, I’ve always played a hunter, so I know that I have a little bit of a learning curve to get through, as well.

I know I’m doing “just fine” compared to the other healers in my raid group, but I also know that I’m not living up to my full potential. I’ve been switching around talents, realizing that CBT was not working for me. I always forgot to use it, didn’t time it correctly, etc. and I’m much happier now, but still not pulling the numbers I know I’m capable of.

I have gathered from the other logs that I’m not using Gift of the Queen enough, if at all, and that needs to change. I’ve also noticed that I’m not using my Healing Stream Totem enough.

I’d love some real, harsh critique, as I’d like to up my game. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

xoxo

Here’s the other night’s logs on our 10 heroic wipes:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qGDt1WFNdBhH8xnK/#type=healing&source=3&boss=1853&wipes=1

Profile photo of Nihilith
    nihilith

I don’t have time (nor available brain energy at the moment) to do a delve into your logs on a detailed level but I did do a quick skim through. I looked quickly at your Xavius normal kill and I see your using a single target focused spec and healing style, which in itself isn’t the wrong thing to do, I noticed you don’t have a paladin in your roster so perhaps you’re finding yourself tank healing more and that’s why you chose to go down the st healing route.  I do however see very little chain heal use can I ask why? I’d suggest trying some different talents out and see how they work for you, for example try out high tide (you seldom need the extra cd from ascendance I find, though this my own personal opinion) and weave in more chain heals with your current single target focused spec. I’d also suggest trying out undulation if you’re more single target focused, I myself am having some fun playing around with that talent at the moment.

In all honesty though, as a healer it’s more practice, learning the fights, learning which talents work best for you, your healing comp and the fight you’re doing. Try different combinations and think about the synergy of the talents (ie deluge if people are stacked often so can make use of it, unleash life before chainheal on ursoc). As a shaman at the moment there are very few outright bad talents to choose from and as long as you can make them work for you and learn when to cast what spell you should be golden.

When I was learning to resto druid last xpac I did tons of proving grounds just to get a feel for the spec and develop my muscle memory, not saying that will work for you but it’s a tip I thought I’d throw out there 🙂 If you have any specific questions just ask and I’ll see if I can help out in some way.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Nihilith nihilith.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Nihilith nihilith.
    Profile photo of Mamabeär
    Jalliya
    Participant

Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for.

To be quite honest, I didn’t know that I have a single target healing style. I have been thinking about it, and I feel like the reason may be because of the Mythic Keystone’s we’ve been running. Maybe just habit after those?

About the chain healing, I guess when I was reading I came across something that mentioned Chain Heal being an ineffective way of healing, when it comes to mana conservation, and it just stuck with me. I’ve switched that talent (I honestly don’t think I’ve ever used Ascendance… Oops!) and am excited to try it out. It’s also passive, which I’m very excited about. I feel as though I can’t ever remember all the awesome cooldowns I possess, so this will undoubtedly be more helpful!

I’ll be testing out this advice this next raid week, and I super appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Cheers! xoxo

Profile photo of Nihilith
    nihilith

That would do it. Mythic+ has a different playstyle to it than a raid does as a general rule.

It does cost a lot of mana which is why you can’t (at the moment at least) spam it WoD style so you weave it with single target spells (myself I weave with healing wave, surging only if I need to) and then add your riptide/hst/healing rain on cd if people are going to stack in it. Also it will depend on the fight how much you do of one or the other, some fights are more suited to st spot healing than others.

Shamans do have some pretty awesome cd’s but as with everything, I find if you’re new to healing (same goes for dps for myself) get a flow and thusly sticking to more passive options is a wise thing to do whilst you grow more comfortable, the rest will mostly come with practice and time. No worries, do let me know how you get on and ask away if you have any more questions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.