Need Help building a Shaman Healing Spec that Actually Works?

Homepage Forums Link your logs Need Help building a Shaman Healing Spec that Actually Works?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhotwo 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Zaioñ
    Participant

This guide is for everyone as i feel it is the most effective talent build for a resto shaman and have been using it all of legion. I have looked at guides and specs all year but none feel good to play or actually do the healing if you dont have X item or lego ect but i stuck with my playstyle and now I carry LFR through hell and back with ease as this spec I created and perfected out performs the “generic” builds at low ilvl. I am a heroic raider with previous high end raiding experience with both mythic EN and healing as my shaman in 25man Cataclysm raids. I am not the best shaman but sometimes eve the best do it wrong 😉 my SHaman to browse is here http://us.battle.net/wow/character/dathremar/Zaio%C3%B1/
    This spec only requires ONE LEGENDARY Soul of the Farseer for echo of the elements and talent into Cloudburst. with that Lego take Undulation and Crashing Waves for 2 Riptides and 2 Tidal Wave procs per RT to start casting Healing wave/surge. With this basic set up you can build around depending on what other gear/lego’s you do have to grant a higher ilvl while not having to compromise a teir slot for another lego (ie pants, although a good item not needed to use this build). To enhance this build I recommend (where available and applicable for all but the first is my choice for pure healing output) Focuser of Jonat, the Elder combined with High Tide talent for more sustained hps when you feel you don’t need to run Ascendance anymore (your spirit link/HTT are enough for most raids) or  Intact Nazjatar Molting for fights like immonar for RT spam or Nobundo’s Redemption for cheaper Healing surge casts while progressing.

The key to this spec lies in its rotation and timing of your casts mixed in with this semi complex rotation to pull off high hps, although mildly complex this rotation does flow very well no matter the encounter and i still use this spec for most mythic plus farms.
    To start this rotation is not important as it really comes into full swing once you really start to need to heal.
    I personally start of this rotation with a healing rain (for t21 4pce bonus) into a cloudburst followed by a GoQ and a Gift of the Narru hot (racial, also GoQ buffs my hp to give it more oomf) from there i start raid healing as needed with a single Riptide followed by 2 healing waves (healing surge when needed and can be supplemented instead of my HW txt). This rotation continues and leads into a chain heal, as i run Focuser of Jonat, the Elder combined with High Tide talent this rotation changes in priority slightly as the fight goes on as i want to get 5 HW casts out before i chain heal but sometimes that is not always the case and with this talent/lego even a 1-3 charge Chainheal does sufficient healing to be felt as damage goes out. Ideally with cloudburst in this rotation where it needs to be to explode at the time needed i will leave it out  and explain the back rotation that goes on when you are not doing other things.
    Start with a chain heal (for 1 proc of TW, a RT can be used if you are going to overstack to 6 (3 RT, 6 HW) or to release a chain heal early to help raid damage. With that 1 stack cast HW into RT, then 2 HW into RT and finish with 2 more HW (5 for ring) then unleash a chain heal of the gods.
    I will note my Ilvl is 958* (weapon is 984) and my relics are atuned into Tidal waves (50%/70% buffs) and spirit walkers grace to extend its duration so my rotation can be on the move (great for immonar to SWG – RT – HW,HW – chainheal – HW), my other relics are low into HR and the one that procs off a heal crit.
    The stat weights I aim for to run this spec is
    mastery -above 100% (if you can, but not essential it just helps feel the good heals)
    Critical Strike – 30%+ i run 32% and eat crit food to get my crit to 33% (with my relics makes HS 100% crit, not that i ever use it)
    haste – mine is 17% as my relics into TW make my HW casts under a second – this right here makes this spec very powerful as you get a mana efficient heal that is backed off of your mastery and will feed your cloudburst really fast (the CH, HW, RT, HWx2, RT, HWx2, CH combo takes me 14sec or less to complete).
    I hope this helps some struggling healers out there as yes there is other ways to play a shaman then to chain heal your mana away and go hard and carry some raids and get them loots!

Zaioñ
    Participant

My 95% log for Argus this week and you can see how potent this build really is https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3fqhx8bgm4HKYRXQ#fight=last&type=healing&source=14

Sack
    Participant

You cheese a high parse in a normal fight, play very incorrectly, and use your cheesed parse as an example of why your build is the only one that works.

Zaioñ
    Participant

Well for one i never said it is the only build that works as it has a 5-10% pick rate as everyone just goes by the websites guide but as a shaman player this spec has high output potential and hard carry potential if you as a shaman are the carry healer in the raid group. alot of spec focus around chain heal but with mastery and tidal waves everyone neglects how strong your single target heals are when raiding in large group sizes. and with the t21 4set bonus of healing wave casting another 40% heal into your healing rain it is a no brainer not to run this spec as both your spot raid heals help keep melee and tank up (or hr on the range and spot into the melee) the bonus of mastery and the exta 40% makes 2 healing waves on par with a standard chain heal for half the mana and less cast time. I put that log up only because it shows that even with healers down you can still hold a raid together using single target heals over chain heal spam.
    Now you said i play incorrectly how so? I find this spec flows soo much better off the grid and as an experienced healer the grid dance is soo epic with this build as i can ebb and flow from one target to another in under a second cast of healing wave. if you want to call me out on what i am doing wrong please tell me there might be others here making the same mistake, and that is what this site is for right??

Zaioñ
    Participant

Well for one i never said it is the only build that works as it has a 5-10% pick rate as everyone just goes by the websites guide but as a shaman player this spec has high output potential and hard carry potential if you as a shaman are the carry healer in the raid group. alot of spec focus around chain heal but with mastery and tidal waves everyone neglects how strong your single target heals are when raiding in large group sizes. and with the t21 4set bonus of healing wave casting another 40% heal into your healing rain it is a no brainer not to run this spec as both your spot raid heals help keep melee and tank up (or hr on the range and spot into the melee) the bonus of mastery and the extra 40% makes 2 healing waves on par with a standard chain heal for half the mana and less cast time. I put that log up only because it shows that even with healers down you can still hold a raid together using single target heals over chain heal spam.
    Now you said i play incorrectly how so? I find this spec flows soo much better off the grid and as an experienced healer the grid dance is soo epic with this build as i can ebb and flow from one target to another in under a second cast of healing wave. if you want to call me out on what i am doing wrong please tell me there might be others here making the same mistake, and that is what this site is for right??

Rhotwo
    Participant

Here’s a couple of things I’m noticing from this post.

A) Those logs don’t show very much when you break them down.  Considering 2 of the 4 top heals were the tanks, meaning there was overall more damage for you to heal.  This is a pretty unrealistic scenario most of the time which causes resto shammys to shine more. Your healing really spiked during the last phase of Argus (which it should). But this throws off your meters because the amount of healing here is absurd, and it looks like it was all on you to do that.  Shamans have the healing to pull this off, regardless of your build to be honest.

B) I don’t agree with a “healing rotation”.  Healing isn’t DPS where there is an optimal rotation to maximize damage, healing is a very proactive and reactive role that changes regularly.  Whereas this guide may help people who are severely struggling, I think it will also lock people into habits they shouldn’t be in all the time (always starting the fight with Gift of the Naaru, exactly when to use Chain Heal before other casts, etc etc).  You may have an idea of what you want to do on a fight if you know the mechanics well, but you can’t rely on things going 100% according to plan.

C) Talents are very situational.  I, personally, would never run with your talents during a M+ or a fight where being regularly spread is needed (Immonar).

I personally don’t like Undulation.  To me, it is too much upkeep to try and time that third heal with when it will be most effective.  This also would probably explain why you have over 20% overhealing with Healing Wave on that Argus fight.  Unless you aren’t going to have ANY strong single target healers, this does not play into the Shaman healing strength nearly as much as Torrent does.

I also don’t really understand Earthgrab over Lightning Surge. Lightning Surge is objectively better in all situations.

I go back and forth on Crashing Waves and AG.  To me, if I had the ability to switch more often, I would flip between those depending on the fight.  Currently, I use AG more often because it synergizes so well with our other big and small CD’s during heavy raid damage.  I didn’t find that the extra charges were really impacting any fights in Raid that much.  I do prefer CW during M+ though.

For how often you use healing wave and chain heal, I don’t understand why you don’t roll with Ancestral Vigor.  It is a huge upgrade over Ancestral Protection, unless you absolutely need another battle rez type of ability (could see it during Heroic or Mythic Argus).

Not a huge fan of High Tide either.  To me, Ascendance has always provided more use.  It may result in slightly less HPS, but Ascendance regularly saves raids during high raid damage moments.  Even during M+ I find that it helps much more on fights than an extra chain heal target does.

All opinions obviously, but I still rock high parses with low overhealing and do my job of keeping the raid alive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.