Mythic Gorefiend

Home Forums Link your logs Mythic Gorefiend

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dorelei Dorelei 1 year ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Katurn
    katurn
    Participant

Hey there,

I have recently switch back to resto after being enhance for a while and before that taking a bit of a break from raiding and would love some help on where to improve, especially on mythic Gorefiend.

My guild and I have been progressing on Gorefiend for a while now and while I absolutely love this fight and the challenge it brings I feel like there is definitely room to improve.

I have posted our best attempt yet getting through the first and second feast phase from last night however I know looking at the logs that I really could improve my HST and Riptide casts and think I could really work on the timings of my CD’s during feasts (I am currently looking for a weakaura to help me track when our healers CD’s are up so I can better time mine as discord can sometimes get quite busy and often the other healers don’t call their CD’s).

Honestly keen for anything you can give me to help me push my numbers up and help our guild kill this fatso! 😀

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/KkBCzL7yTDmQn1vc#fight=27&type=healing

Profile photo of Dorelei
    Dorelei
    Keymaster

Hi Katurn!

** I just want to mention that since you didn’t link your “own” logs (as in: logs recorded by a group member), not all actions may be properly registered when you were inside for example and that person wasn’t.

*Breathes in* Ahhhh, there’s nothing like Gorefiend progression! Always rough, always rocky, but oh so rewarding when you finally kill him. I see there are 6 good attempts that evening, and one long lasting. In case you didn’t know already… it is hard to cause a wipe below 2 minutes on Gorefiend as a healer. Meaning that 24/30 attempts you can glare at others for not doing their job sufficiently :P.

You’ve probably scrolled past my last few log analysis posts, so the following should not be a surprise. Let’s check on your uptimes of riptide, healing stream totem, elemental blast, and your mana and cooldown management.

Analysis

Metrics:

• Riptide: generally good uptimes (sometimes slacky) usually above 75%;
    • Healing stream: same, sometimes dropping low.
    • Elemental blast: not used at all.
    • Healing Tide: used, but could be planned together with other cooldowns for feast.
    • Ascendance: just like healing tide, plan this cooldown as part of your feast rotation.

There’s two things that stand out to me:

1. You have more riptide casts than chain heal casts
    2. You are too conservative with your mana

It was interesting to me to discover you had (way) more riptide then chain heal casts. I went digging into my own logs to see what happens with my casts on Gorefiend. I’m well aware that you won’t be as actively chain healing inside Gorefiend, which could potentially bring the number of chain heals down. But to have less chain heals than riptides, that looks off to me. At least an equal number of chain heal and riptide casts seems reasonable to strive for (as an indication). So keep up the riptides, but start squeezing in more chain heals.

You are sitting on mountains of mana. Not just that, you are also not using elemental blast (which gives you more combat regen amongst others) to increase that potential spending amount. I suspect this relates to the low chain heal cast spam as well. When we just started with chainheal.com, I asked Keehn to check on my logs to see what I could improve. The main thing he mentioned was that I was not being aggressive enough with my (chain heal) casts. There was way more room to squeeze in more spells and there was so much mana left to be spent. At first I was skeptical, as I was very conscious about my casting. But over time I did indeed improve and discovered I had a learning curve to go through. So I’m going to say the same thing to you: be as aggressive as you can be with your casts.

This all relates with the (fully absent) casting of elemental blast as well. It is currently talented, but if you’re not going to use it.. why have it talented :D? There is a whole extra resource pool available, you just have to start using it. Generally speaking, it is our most valuable talent in that tier. Especially on a (potentially extremely) mana draining fight like Gorefiend. Use it to your advantage.

In terms of cooldowns, you used healing tide before the feast sometimes. Do you guys have a fixed cooldown rotation for each feast? If not, this is something you could consider. You really don’t want to ‘waste’ cooldowns before the feast in progress. The rest of the phases are doable without cooldowns, and the rest of the raid should learn to manage to dealing with that. If you want more information about our Gorefiend specific approach, don’t forget to check our mythic boss guides. Have a plan for your (and your fellow healer’s) cooldowns and heal accordingly.

I hope Gorefiend drops dead for you soon, and for this to be somewhat helpful to you!

All the best,
    Dorelei

p.s. in case you like the math..

Riptide uptimes (5 second cooldown):
    Pull 8: 3.52 fight length (232 seconds) = 46 max casts / 38 actual casts = 83% uptime
    Pull 16: 3.15 fight length (195 seconds) = 39 max casts / 31 actual casts = 79% uptime
    Pull 19: 3.48 fight length (228 seconds) = 45 max casts / 33 actual casts = 73% uptime
    Pull 21: 4.23 fight length (263 seconds) = 52 max casts / 41 actual casts = 79% uptime
    Pull 26: 3.43 fight length (223 seconds) = 44 max casts / 36 actual casts = 82% uptime
    Pull 27: 7.21 fight length (441 seconds) = 88 max casts / 61 actual casts = 69% uptime

Healing stream uptimes (30 second cooldown):
    Pull 8: 3.52 fight length (232 seconds) = 7 max casts / 4 actual casts = 57% uptime
    Pull 16: 3.15 fight length (195 seconds) = 6 max casts / 4 actual casts = 67% uptime
    Pull 19: 3.48 fight length (228 seconds) = 7 max casts / 6 actual casts = 86% uptime
    Pull 21: 4.23 fight length (263 seconds) = 8 max casts / 6 actual casts = 75% uptime
    Pull 26: 3.43 fight length (223 seconds) = 7 max casts / 6 actual casts = 86% uptime
    Pull 27: 7.21 fight length (441 seconds) = 14 max casts / 11 actual casts = 79% uptime

Elemental blast uptimes (12 second cooldown):
    You didn’t use elemental blast. You don’t do any damage either (flame shock, lava burst or any damage totems).

Healing Tide usage:
    Pull 8: 3.52 fight length (232 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 60 seconds. Feast at 1.50-2.50 minutes.
    Pull 16: 3.15 fight length (195 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 60 seconds, feast at 2.0-3.0 minutes.
    Pull 19: 3.48 fight length (228 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 2 minutes, feast started at 2-2.45 minutes.
    Pull 21: 4.23 fight length (263 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 1 minute, feast at 2-3 minutes.
    Pull 26: 3.43 fight length (223 seconds) = 1 max casts (1 max cast) at 1.45 min, feast at 2-3 minutes.
    Pull 27: 7.21 fight length (441 seconds) = 1 cast (3 max casts – 2 realistic), at 2 minutes, easts at 2-3 and 5-6 minutes.

Ascendance usage:
    Pull 8: 3.52 fight length (232 seconds) = not used (1 max cast. Feast at 1.50-2.50 minutes.
    Pull 16: 3.15 fight length (195 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 2 minutes, feast at 2.0-3.0 minutes.
    Pull 19: 3.48 fight length (228 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 2.48 minutes, feast started at 2-2.45 minutes.
    Pull 21: 4.23 fight length (263 seconds) = 1 time used (1 max cast) at 2.05 minute, feast at 2-3 minutes.
    Pull 26: 3.43 fight length (223 seconds) = 1 max casts (1 max cast) at 2.53 min, feast started at 2-3 minutes.
    Pull 27: 7.21 fight length (441 seconds) = 1 cast (3 max casts – 2 realistic), at 2.44 minutes, feasts at 2-3 and 5-6 minutes.

Potions:
    Pull 8: no mana / intellect potion
    Pull 16: no mana / intellect potion
    Pull 19: intellect potion used
    Pull 21: intellect potion used
    Pull 26: intellect potion used
    Pull 27: intellect potion used

Mana levels:
    Pull 8: ends at 50% – steady spending and no gaining.
    Pull 16: ends at 85% – steady spending, gaining after feast.
    Pull 19: ends at 65% – steady (conservative) spending, some regaining after feast
    Pull 21: ends at 50% – steady spending – limited regaining
    Pull 26: ends at 75% – conservative spending – regaining after feast
    Pull 27: ends at 75% – conservative spending – regaining after feast

Profile photo of Katurn
    katurn
    Participant

Hi Dorelei,

Thank you so much for the info! I have been using Unleashed Fury for Gorefiend to help with the adds downstairs, and switch back to EB for everything else which would be why I didn’t cast it; do you think it’s worth just sticking to EB?

I’ll definitely jump on the Chain heals more thanks 😀

And we do have a CD rotation on the feasts but our raid seems to take so much damage before feasts and sometimes I get worried and HTT wasn’t really part of the feast rotation so I guess we’ll have a look at the CD’s during that and just stack some to get through.

and yes I really should be at least doing some damage >.<

Thanks again!

Profile photo of Dorelei
    Dorelei
    Keymaster

Aaaahhh that explains it yes. I wouldn’t bother with that talent to be honest. Your gear is strong, you have proper fellow healer classes. There shouldn’t be a problem healing the adds on the inside.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.