[IDEAS] Shaman Changes for Legion

Homepage Forums Shaman news and rumours [IDEAS] Shaman Changes for Legion

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Glarblar
      Participant

I don’t like what Earthshield has become… its very passive and at this point is just an annoying ability. I’d like it to change to something like:

Earth Shield
      20.6% of base mana 40 yd range
      Instant 30 second recharge
      Requires Shaman (Restoration)
      Requires level 26
      Protects the target with an earthen shield, causing attacks to deal 35% reduced damage and to heal the shielded target for (300% of Spell power). 3 charges.

Keehn

I think it’s a very cool idea, making earth shield into an effective spell once again. This would be the best way of doing it (although numbers seem a bit over the top). The problem is though that if we got an external, we would be the perfect healer and we would be mandatory to bring on every raid. I think to make it less overpowered it could be a bit more limited and not quite as strong:

Earth Shield
      12.6% base mana (same cost as now)
      Instant 1.5 minute cooldown
      Requires Shaman (Restoration)
      Requires level 26
      Protect your target with and earthen shield, which will reduce the damage taken by 20%. 9 charges. lasts 10 seconds.

But depending on how important they feel the spell is for resto shamans, I think they might as well just remove it completely. In it’s current state it feels like a niche spell, not a lot of resto shamans are using it and with somewhat of a good reason. Why spend a lot of time optimizing a spell that benefits with less than 1% of our overall healing (not taking the 20% increase into account)?

Dorelei
      Keymaster

Ohhh and then maybe improve glyph of Eternal Earth to always give a charge back. Glyph of Eternal Earth currently has a chance for your Lightning Bolt to add a charge to your currently active earthshield, and cannot excced 9 (initial) charges).

Dorelei
      Keymaster

[11:47:22] Keehn: I don’t think it’s way too strong
      [11:47:39] Keehn: Because it will lack behind on a lot of mobs the stacks will just disappear in no time
      [11:53:56] Keehn: I think it should apply to all casts actually the eternal earth glyph
      [11:54:05] Keehn: Make it work for lava burst and ele blast too
      [11:54:23] Dorien: yeah since we’re way more lava burst oriented now to begin with
      [11:54:30] Keehn: Yeah indeed
      [11:54:58] Dorien: by the time i go to casting lightning bolt, i’m usually back doing a riptide
      [11:55:10] Keehn: Yup, I rarely cast lightning bolts
      [11:55:25] Keehn: If I am it is most likely at the pull of an encounter where I have nothing to do anyway

So yeah, anyone else suggestions? 😀

Glarblar
      Participant

I would agree with the numbers being too high. The idea I had was to make it soak a big hit or two. Maybe a better way of doing it would be to increase the heal and decrease the absorb amount. It should probably be lower than SAC, something like:

Instant 45 second recharge
      Protects the target with an earthen shield, causing attacks to deal 15% reduced damage and to heal the shielded target for (500% of Spell power). 3 charges.

Some references:
      Monk-
      Dampen Harm
      Instant 1.5 min cooldown
      Reduces damage by 50% from the next 3 attacks that damage you for 15% or more of your maximum health.

Paladin-
      Hand of Sacrifice
      7% of base mana 40 yd range
      Instant 1.5 min recharge
      Places a Hand on a party or raid member, transferring 30% of damage taken to the Paladin for 12 sec or until the Paladin has transferred 100% of their maximum health. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.

Druid-
      Ironbark
      40 yd range
      Instant 1 min cooldown
      The target’s skin becomes as tough as Ironwood, reducing all damage taken by 20%. Lasts 12 sec.
      Your Ironbark also increases the healing the target receives from your periodic healing spells by 20%.

Rillao
      Participant

A late reply, but with review coming tonight I’m restless.

I feel ES has become sort of meh because it hasn’t scaled as well with the massive Stat increase of WoD. They tried to keep it alive by offering the 20% increased heal effectiveness, but I tend to roll RT on tanks and not for us them with CH, unless I know RT will fall by cast completion.

A couple of workarounds could be to simply increase the heal amount, a static damage decrease (say 5%, nothing game breaking but enough to make people go “shit yeah let’s being the shaman”), or a residual decrease in reduction, e.g. 1% or so per charge, so you have to commit to refreshing early or some such, along those lines of the previous.

Not backed by the mathematical thinking of others, but I’m also at work, and just thinking out loud.

Ffraid
      Participant

I would love to see Earth Shield be useful and engaging. Some things I’ve thought about:
      – A ST CD to use in a pinch, either on a longer CD with no/limited charges or a lower DR than other externals, so we don’t fill too many roles.
      – Something like the SoO 2pc, maybe it could apply a stacking absorb similar to the way Eternal Flame stacks Illuminated Healing. Not a huge amount, but something that stacks when not used and would add a small amount of passive healing when it is eaten. I know they’re removing absorbs on a pretty large scale, but I think it would fit the flavor of the spell.
      – Small, consistent damage reduction, around 5%.
      – Maybe the ability to have multiple ES targets.
      – A personal DR CD – encasing myself in earth and protecting me from damage (or something…fantasy…y). I would love to have something baseline, instead of having to talent into my personal, but that’s just always been a pet peeve of mine.
      – Buff to max HP instead of DR/a heal? I know they got rid of Ancestral Vigor because of ability bloat, but I miss having that neat little utility. I’m just stream of conscious-ing now >.>

I honestly think they’ve done a pretty good job with resto shaman (aside from the frustrations of trying to overheal farm – heaven help me if our DPS don’t learn to not stand in stuff so we can 2/1 heal things I’m going to cry). Some of our talent choices are pretty dull, so I’m curious to see what they do in the class preview tonight 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.