I suck at SWG, advice?

Homepage Forums Shaman lounge I suck at SWG, advice?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dorelei 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Nhairne
    Participant

Hi all, great job on the site.

I suck at using SWG. I use mouseover macros for all my heals, so that falls apart if I use my mouse to move. But when I try to cast on the run when I do pop SWG, I feel like I’m doing hand gymnastics and not doing them well.

Has anyone solved this problem without the answer being “mouse with 73 buttons?”

Dorelei
    Keymaster

I recognize the ‘error’. I’ve been there and felt like my hands were doing gymnastics. It was anything but in control. The one thing that could make it easier is to emphasize that you shouldn’t really cast anything except for chain heal while SWG is active. Can I suggest not using your mouse to move. If you use for example WAD to move around (AD bound as strafe not turn did the trick for me) – you can use your mouse to change your vision point and perform mouseovers on frames.

Hopefully, this is helpful to you!

Nhairne
    Participant

I’ve had movement bound to ESDF for several expansions now, (opens up keys to the left of your hand, it’s glorious!) but I still have both turn and strafe bound. I think you may have said what I subconsciously already knew, “quit using your keyboard to turn you baddie!” I always justified it by saying that it didn’t impact healing like it does DPS, but that is clearly not the case. I suppose it will just be hard because it’s different and will take some practice. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the snappy response!

Dorelei
      Keymaster

Just unbind ‘turning’. Just have strafing bound. Try it for a week or two. You’ll discover you don’t want to live without soon :D.

wolfie
    Participant

I don’t know if I’ll get pelted by rocks for saying this, but I use both WAD and mouse to move. It seems so natural to me. I started moving like this when I came upon the same problem as you, with SWG along with mouseover heals. Now when I pop the cd, my cursor is on the raid frames, and WAD takes care of the walking. I’m aware that’s 3 keys missing, but I’ve somehow managed to fit my spells all around those keys and be perfectly comfortable with them. You could try the same if it sounds appealing.

Dorelei
      Keymaster

I don’t think there’s a difference between using ES(D)F or WA(S)D. You just shift the position of your hand 1 key to the left or right. What matters is about being flexible with moving, adjusting PoV, and using abilities at the same time. So I think we’re on the same page :P.

wolfie
        Participant

I think you misunderstand. I use both WAD (or ESDF, w/e), AND mouse. I move with the mouse when my cursor isn’t over my raid frames, and with WAD when using SWG

Dorelei
          Keymaster

Hm, just curious then… How do you have AD bound? As turning or as strafing?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.