Experienced Resto Shaman here to help people become better healbots!

Homepage Forums Link your logs Experienced Resto Shaman here to help people become better healbots!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Dorelei 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

buderz
    Participant

Hey all, I am posting this thread for all the people that could use some help increasing they’re healing numbers.. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to get back to you ASAP!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/20067190/10/#metric=hps

-Buderz

meesh
    Participant

What’s your thoughts on our upcoming 4 set in Nighthold. Is it worth losing crit and mastery to Versatility? Healing Stream Totem adds up over long fights but it feels like a filler/use on cd and not much else.

A lot of tier have bad stats for classes but some 4 sets make up for it, but I’m not sure if I find our 4 set worth it, I still don’t have as much crit as I would like, and I am waiting and waiting for the proper gear from Mythic + to finally drop. Nighthold fixes most of my crit/mastery issues (except the wrist which only exists in Vault of the Wardens) but then I looked at our tier and literally felt like “why am I trying?”.

Not a logs question I know, but I figured you’d have some opinions for Nighthold.

buderz
    Participant

Hey Meesh,

In my honest opinion i am not much of a fan of our four set either.. healing stream, like you said is primarily a buffer or preliminary heal that isn’t extremely important, so sacrificing mastery for vers would be a bad idea in my opinion… I would probably only suggest taking the tier pieces if they are a significant ilvl increase for you because that secondary stat crunch will make intellect even more important.

Although the four set is pretty ehh, the 2 set will be insane for us.. especially in mythic + if you run with undulation and crashing waves.  Comsuming tidal wave procs inbetween riptides and especially chain heals during raids with undulation will be a serious hps increase while not increasing mana usage.. It just really sucks that some of the tier pieces in nighthold dont have our BIS stats, although there are a huge number of nonset items that will make up for that.  To sum things up; get the 2set even if you need to sacrifice some stats i believe its worth it (atleast how i play) and then only dump stats if its  a huge ilvl increase and u calculated the stat weights.

I hope this response helped, if you have any more questions feel free to message me here.

P.S. I have some youtube videos showing heroic guarm and cenarious kills, will be posting more footage very soon.. search BASED Buderz if you want to check em out. GOTTA END WITH SHAMELESS PLUG IM SORRYY! Cheers

meesh
    Participant

2 set is manageable for sure, go for the 2 items with the best stats (chest is crit mastery for eg pretty sure). How long it will take rng to give us the right tier pieces, who knows, it can be painful especially when dps get priority in some teams.

Pray for good coin rng. So yeah, 2 set is no brainer but the 4 set seems redundant. More healing stream totems? Do I really want that? Sure if it didn’t gut my crit and mastery, which guts my throughput and mana regen.

Snoxxi
    Participant

Hey Buderz,

I need some help with my resto shaman, in WoD everything worked out pretty well so its really depressing me that my performance in Legion is just getting worse and worse so maybe you can help me.

I tried out different talent builds and stat priorities but it seemed that none of them actually worked out well, I can still just find myself at the bottom of the healmeter fighting with the tanks..

I leave my LogLink so maybe you can find my mistakes, just tell me it wont bother me haha

Thanks

-Snoxxi

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/9970211/10/#metric=hps

PS: Some of the logs might be outdated, but most of the bosses are up to date.

buderz
    Participant

Hey Snooxi,

so to start ill just go over my talents and how i feel about our stat priority right now..

talents i use for raids (usually 15-20 raid members):

undulation -> graceful spirit -> “cap” totem -> ancestral guidance -> earthern shield totem -> Cloudburst -> High tide

In  my opinion High Tide is 100% essential in raids.  From my experience chain heal is by far our most powerful non-cooldown spell we have..  And the combination of ancestral guidance, cloudburst and healing tide can spike your hps to almost 2million if done correctly.

For the stat priority, focus primarily on mastery followed by crit.. the reason we dont need haste is because of our tidal wave procs.. and vers is just way to weak of a stat atm for us.  Honestly i have had no problems with our stat priority and have felt no need to tweak it in any way.. for reference i have about 105% mastery and about 26% crit, which seems to work for me just fine.

A few tips for ya:

I would suggest changing your riptide talent and echo of the elements to the talents i use for your raiding situations, the reason being; your combination will make riptides your primary source of gaining tidal wave stacks when chain heal should be. I noticed for some of your fights you use a lot of single target heals but i believe you will find better success if you primarily use chain heal and focus on consuming tidal wave procs by using healing wave/surge.. tidal waves are very important because they help us stay efficient in our rotation due to the fact that chain heal is a costly spell to use consistently.. Lastly, cloudburst totem is AMAZING, it is a very important talent for us because it has the ability to amplify our already crazy aoe healing.. Like i said in the first paragraph, if you combine cloudburst with ancestral guidance and healing tide totem, you have the ability to burst up to around 2million hps.. linking logs below.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2mMwVdKNW6xgDtyA#fight=11&type=healing&source=5

p.s. just one little thing i just thought of while linking the log.. sometimes when im looking over my fights to see the breakdown, i count how many tidal wave stacks i could have created and how many i hypothetically consumed during the fight.. for example, with the fight i linked, i created 52 stacks of tidal waves (chain heal + riptide) and hypothetically consumed 39 (healing wave + healing surge).  I would consider 39/52 to be an o.k. amount of stacks consumed for an aoe intensive fight but if your consuming less than half of your stacks then that can be a problem aswell

I hope this response helped you, if you have any more questions feel free to reply back

nihilith
    Participant

I’d disagree with your opinion that High Tide is 100% essential in raids. Yes, it is powerful, but it’s not necessarily suited for every encounter, raid composition, healing team and healing style.  There are far too many variables that go into healing for one to be able to say something is 100% essential.

For example on a fight like mythic dragons you cast very few chain heals as a general rule since you’re raid is far too spread for the most part, there Ascendance would perhaps serve one better. The same applies if your raid needs the extra cooldown from Ascendance to get through a certain mechanic, that could be the case in certain teams, not in others.

The same applies to talents, not every talent will suit every comp, every encounter or every healing style.

You seem to have found a healing style that works for you and your team and that’s great, just try to keep in mind that while it works for you, it may not work for others.

Out of curiosity, why do you stack a CBT fed with AG and Healing Tide together? Also curious as to why you choose Undulation instead of Unleash Life on a fight like Ursoc?

Snoxxi
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, I’m not too sure about the talents, I tried out Undulation and CBT but it felt like it didnt worked out at all so I thought combinding Torrent + EotE to always have a charge of Riptide available. Like you said Tidal Waves is super important otherwise we would waste too much time casting our spells, so i thought this might be a good combination?

darkboddy
    Participant

Hi guys,

very interesting topic and helpful for me.

I have really big problems to archive great hps with my shaman with a GS 871 /873. Most classes archive about 290k hps, i am mostly between 220-230 with better gear.

here is a link to my amory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aegwynn/Grántlbart/simple

first i had 110% mastery and just about 17% crit, but since one month i changed to more crit because i was really fast oom. Now i have about 29% critand 92% mastery.

There is never a problem raiding EN HC or Myth+ 7. But i think i can really get out a lot of more hps with this gear. I was also able to heal Myth 10 but it was very exhausting for me.

When i read your guide and your tipps to get on cloud burst totem  and use chain healing as primary heal i ask myselfe if you are not going oom infight? and when do you really have phases where it is useful to cast cloud burst totem, guidance and healing stream totem + chain waves in one moment?

i always thought that good shamans should use more healing waves than spamming chain heal  (so it is mentioned in most healing guides)

Maybe you can give me some useful hints 🙂 ?

Snoxxi
    Participant

Can you post some logs? This might help analyzing your playstyle a bit.

Also you should try to change your trinket ‘Naglar Fare’, the Crit might be useful but the the effect isnt useful at all I think the best choice atm is the Ursoc trinket or the Helya Int + rnd stat trinket (Int + mastery should be best of course)

nihilith
    Participant

I personally dislike proc trinkets like the Ursoc one, the reason being it can come at a time when it won’t be useful and thus (I feel) wasted. Personally, I want consistency as a healer, by that I mean a trinket I can rely on in any situation. Static Int is always useful, which is why even Cocoon can work if you have nothing better, purely for the Int it has.

Having decent trinkets is, of course, great but it won’t make or break anything, the most important thing is that you can make effective use of what you have, generally keeping track of procs and buffs they give is a good idea so you can make use of them effectively (like Amalgam’s so you won’t override your own mana return buff).

darkboddy
    Participant

i don´t know why i can´t find my new raid logs on warcraftlogs.

But yesterday i found out, that i idiot don´t have have used as many spring tides as possible (always thought i can just use 2 spring tides on targets at the same time). Now i cast 3-4 and my hps increased . Cenrarius now 330k hps, xavius 280k hps EN NHC without buffood and flasks.

I think this is ok. Never went oom just casted lots of healing waves with tidal waves. So my nr 1 heal was healing waves followed by nr.2 spring tides when i am not wrong 🙂

also tried the talents which were recommended from buderz, but that gameplay with clod burst and guidance is not really my style.

Snoxxi
    Participant

I’m unconfortable with CBT too I like using EotE and Torrent to have Tidal waves up the most time (without ‘wasting’ Chain Heal for them) and to get the most out of your Riptides because of Torrent

buderz
    Participant

Hey guys, sorry i havnt responded in a few days.. im gonna make a few posts here to try and answer all your questions in one shot.

TO NIHILITH,

So nihilith, mythic dragons might be one of the only exceptions for not using high tide, even then ascendance wont reach the other group.. and your group on each side shouldnt be so spread out to the point you cant bounce a good chain through the raid.

To answer your question why i stack a cloudburst totem with AG and Healing tide is because that is how you maximize your burst healing as a shaman.  I can explain how to properly use them in order but on fights where one healer is in charge of an aoe burst (mythic ursoc).. that burst hps is not only beautiful but its all effective healing.

lastly, your question regarding undulation over unleash life.. i personally dont want to add any more little 15-30second healing cooldowns because it just becomes another thing to manage and can distract me from what i already do.  and tbh i really like undulation because i try to consume as many tidal wave procs as possible and having an extra 50% healing wave or surge is pretty nice.

buderz
    Participant

To Snooxi,

I know where your coming from when it comes to changing talents.. Personally i love EotE and use it for all my mythic+’s, that with crashing waves makes for endless tidal waved single target heals.. But as a shaman in a raiding environment, we are KINGS of AoE healing, imo we are the best aoe healing class in legion.  WHich brings me to my point, all tho EotE is solid and comfortable, it alters your playstyle to the point of single target healing is prioritized over aoe heals.. and listen, im not trying to shove my spec and playstyle down your throat cause nilith is right, everyone is different in terms of playstyle etc.  All im saying is, if you look at logs almost all top shamans use cloudburst totem instead of EotE (FOR RAIDING).. I think if you stick with the change for awhile and grow more accustom to using it you will have great success.. Not only will the healing from the totem be nice, but it will allow you to not be so reliant on riptide for tidal wave procs and more focused on what we do best, aoe heals baby!!

p.s. torrent is a good talent, i used it before and for awhile after the nerf to 30%, i just dont priortize riptide enough to consider it tbh.

buderz
    Participant

To darkboddy,

im not sure which spell your talking about when you say spring tides.  If you could clarify that would be great.

Cenarious is probably my favorite fight because of the aoe healing thats needed.  Im sorry but there should be no way healing wave is your highest spell for cenarious  .. If you can find logs for these fights i would love to look at em.

buderz
    Participant

To whom is may concern,

I know changing playstyles and talents is very uncomfortable, but I want to tell you from someone who has been in your shoes that FEAR LEADS TO FREEDOM.  Accept the fact that you will not be as good as you were with your new talents, but dont let that deter you from the ultimate goal.. Seeing that orange number show up in Warcraftlogs and the fulfillment of knowing you have broke the  top 10% percentile is a fucking amzing feeling.  This is my goal for all of you and we can get there.  Believe in me boys, if you need reassurance just look at my logs.. You are in good hands !

nihilith
    Participant

im not sure which spell your talking about when you say spring tides.

That’s probably a direct translation from German I believe. It’s Riptide in English.

Canibehealz

Not that I am one to shut down discussion regarding Resto Shamans – thats what these forums are for – but its very important that you don’t spread false information as gospel. A few of the points that are not true are as follows.

1) Popping CBT/AG/HTT all at once results in more overhealing in 99.999% of cases than effective healing, and quite possibly hinders you more than helps. Big numbers are great, but sustaining 80% of those big numbers for longer is better. Would you rather burst at 1M hps for 3 seconds or sustain 800k hps for 15 seconds? No brainer.

2) Rankings are meaningless and mostly held by people that have one or more of the following problems/methods. As an example, I could go back and solo heal Heroic Cenarius and walk away with a rank 1 parse, but I don’t because its pointless.

• Severe underhealing
    • Underperforming healers
    • Underperforming DPS causing fights to run super long for extra CD use
    • Overgearing
    • Sub-optimal talent choice just “for the numbers” to “pad” with
    • Early healer deaths
    • Cooldown rotations designed around parsing
    • Healers focusing on dpsing
    • etc. etc. etc.

3) The over-reliance on Chain Heal can sometimes be the downfall of a good Shaman. You made a claim that Healing Wave is not a suitable spell to be using on Cenarius as a top heal but a perfect example of the Single Target playstyle working INCREDIBLY well is one of our in-house writers, Keehn.

Keehn plays very strictly and very disciplined. Keehn also manages to parse just fine and show off some numbers by using Single Target heals. You’ve asked for proof of this and here is a good example. 22 seconds difference in kill time, but kill time is irrelevant. Both are Heroic Cenarius, both are similar ilevels (his 882 vs your 880) and you even have a better second Legendary than he does ESPECIALLY when playing with a Chain Heal heavy build.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vQVXfaBdwkYcFLNt#fight=14&type=healing&source=8

4) Coming here with such certainty and potency in your messages along with commanding such a powerful voice for your numbers means absolutely nothing. You preach things like “changing talents and getting out of those comfort zones for MAXIMUM HPS!” but also say things like “I dont spec UnL because I dont like having another cooldown to watch” and it gets very confusing. The clear choice on MANY encounters, especially when playing Chain Heal heavy, is UnL. To ignore it and its potency because you don’t want another thing to track and THEN preach that people should spec your way because other talents are better is so silly. What if they don’t want another 30 second cd to track with CBT? What if they can’t properly manage it yet and don’t want to hinder their group while learning?

You need to reconsider the way you speak and the things you say. There is absolutely nothing in stone about how to spec or what gear to use or how to heal. Healing is a fluid action, not rigid like dps. Pull by pull, things change. Variables come in to play that won’t be there every pull.

Happy Healing. 🙂

filthy606
      Participant

*New member here* – @Canibehealz you mention here the potency of UnL on fights like Ursoc, I was going over your logs as well as alot of moderators here to see about improving myself, and I noticed your best HPS/Best Talents section on Logs says that you take Undulation on 5/7 of the fights and Ascendance on all 7, can you touch on this a little bit so that I might understand your play style and thoughts on these talents. It slightly differs from the “Talent builds for Mythic EN” section I was just reading.

filthy606
      Participant

Correction, looks like you played with Undulation one week not exclusively?

nihilith
    Participant

So nihilith, mythic dragons might be one of the only exceptions for not using high tide, even then ascendance wont reach the other group.. and your group on each side shouldnt be so spread out to the point you cant bounce a good chain through the raid.

There can be other exceptions as well, for example:

• Running a pure single target build
    • If your raid needs the extra cooldown for a difficult phase (healing is a team effort after all)

I cast zero chain heals on our Dragons kill, people were just too spread for me to make use of it so having High Tide there would’ve been wasted (for me) also there are periods of the encounter where having an extra cooldown in the form of Ascendance was more beneficial for our team. For another team choosing High Tide might be more beneficial, it’s up to each and everyone to make that decision for themselves.

To answer your question why i stack a cloudburst totem with AG and Healing tide is because that is how you maximize your burst healing as a shaman. I can explain how to properly use them in order but on fights where one healer is in charge of an aoe burst (mythic ursoc).. that burst hps is not only beautiful but its all effective healing.

I know how to stack CBT with AG, I was curious as to why you’d want that burst Healing with Healing Tide (no CBT/AG interaction). I apologise if I explained that poorly. The reason I ask is that if I did that in my team so much would be wasted as overheal.

lastly, your question regarding undulation over unleash life.. i personally dont want to add any more little 15-30second healing cooldowns because it just becomes another thing to manage and can distract me from what i already do. and tbh i really like undulation because i try to consume as many tidal wave procs as possible and having an extra 50% healing wave or surge is pretty nice.

Canibehealz explained it so eloquently in point 4 the issue I take with making a statement such as the one made above so any point I make to add to that I feel will be superfluous. I however, felt I wanted to respond to your other points, hence this reply. Is there a particular reason you wrote TO NIHILITH in all caps by the way, I’m curious? 🙂

ribzz123
    Participant

in relation to the first question about the set bonues.

I reckon it will be strong as it alson affects queens decree and the trait that increases its ticking time. It will outweigh the loss in mastery i reckon. Maybe i’m just bias cause i have the legendary gloves haha.

805connection
    Participant

I’m new to healing and I’ve had some trouble toping our charts. We run 4 healers and currently have a beast Restro druid.

I would love just a point in the right direction with my gear and Talents

Please help me

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/18658763/10/#compare=1

I’m new to healing.

buderz
    Participant

First and foremost, you guys are right. I am clearly not ready to start a thread and begin helping people. My first issue like you addressed, is how I speak to people. I must learn to offer suggestion and facts instead of my playstyle and talents. Secondly,I have been very narrow-minded when it comes to Healing. Maybe that’s because I haven’t healed in high content for many years. As I have only recently came back to wow my knowledge of the game clearly is outdated and must be worked on. Lastly, I would like to apologize for the wrong information I have been giving the viewers of this thread. Once my knowledge of the game has increased and my ability to communicate has improved I will return and hopefully help resto Shamans become better healbots.

btw Nihilith, there was no reason your name was in caps. LOL

happy healing 🙂

Dorelei
    Keymaster

Hey Buderz,

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate it. You are most welcome to continue to participate.

Happy healing to you too!

Dorelei

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.