Ele shaman to resto shaman need some help

Homepage Forums Link your logs Ele shaman to resto shaman need some help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mahlaa 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

astrongcow
    Participant

Most of this expansion I have been playing ele shaman, but I recently switched guilds and they have asked during progression that I switch to resto to help the other healers out. I have healed the past few raid nights and I am pretty terrible at it. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how I can improve so I can do more than just make it easier for the other healers to save mana. I would like to be able to atleast keep up with the other healers, because right now being the weak link is making raiding very unfun for me. On the logs below I healed sisters, host, and mistress only.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9TWnCX1NPJgABV4

Mahlaa
    Participant

Astrongcow, a few requests before I provide feedback.

1.  Please log-out in your Resto spec and equipment set.

2. Briefly describe your preferred healing approach.  Is your preference for AoE or single target healing.  If you significantly change your approach based on an encounter, describe your approach for the three encounters for which you provided logs.

3.  What past experience do you have being a healer in a raid environment?

A quick comment.  Your team appears to be over-healing the encounters based on the overall over-healing numbers and the sheer HPS of your healing team.  My team tends to over-heal most encounters as well.

All the Best — Mahlaa

astrongcow
    Participant

I am logged out in resto spec now. Healing has been a little better this week but I am still the weak link on our healing comp. I run a crit haste build for healing. I tried the crit mastery and I found it to be slow and boring. I haven’t had to much mana issues running with higher levels of haste and my healing has gone up since I made that switch although that can be attributed to the fact that I am getting more practice.

For the most part I am running echo of the elements instead of cloud burst. I had a lot of trouble timing cloud burst so I switched, I know this is probably a hps loss but it is more comfortable. I mainly focus on aoe healing. I use healing rain on cd and get out as many riptides and healing stream totems as possible. I try to alternate between riptide and chain heal and healing wave to use the procs of high tide. Honestly I’m doing that only because it feels like a waste not to. For sisters and mistress this seems to work all right, for host honestly I am just at a loss of how to handle this fight. I take the same approach but it doesn’t generally work out because people are all over the place. I heal in the normal realm.

I have absolutely no prior raid healing experience and I didn’t start healing until my guild had progressed to mistress so I feel on the bosses we have already downed that I am just throwing heal randomly because everyone knows their job so well that I am just kinda there because with no chance to really get progression practice in.

Any advice would help because I was a fairly strong dps being the weak link in healing is tough for me to swallow.

Mahlaa
    Participant

Astrongcow, some general comments and then I’ll talk my approach to a few specific fights in ToS.

1.  I would recommend working on reordering your stats to 100% Mastery, 30% Crit, and 12 to 15 % Haste.  Mastery is absolute best stat for us in raids, dungeons, and M+ dungeons.  Haste does not benefit us much above 15%, especially in a raid environment.

2. I run with the following talents in ToS:  Undulation, Graceful Spirit, Lightning Surge Totem, A. Guidance, Earthshield Totem, Echo of the Elements, and High Tide.  I also find Cloudburst Totem “awkward” to use.

3.  I recommend upgrading your trinkets ASAP.  I know you just made the switch to Resto and Rng is a cruel master for us all.  Top five Resto Shaman trinkets are Velen’s Future Sight,  The Deceiver’s Grand Design, Sea Star of the Depthmother (even an LFR version will help), Unstable Arcanocrystal, any Stat Stick (Intellect + Any secondary), Archive of Faith.  One key point on Sea Star.  The trinket requires you to be with 15 yards to proc so you’ll basically be standing just outside the melee pile.

General comments on how to approach healing.

1.  Healing in a raid environment is part art (which heal to use and when versus following a set rotation) and part having a feel for how well the individual members of your team anticipate or react to mechanics.  the first just takes some time to get comfy with and the second tasks a healer to be very aware of his team, the environment, and the individual mechanics.

2.  If the tanks are not typically in danger of dying during your fights then I recommend looking for 2 melee dps to be the targets of your Riptide.  Every raid team has a few melee dps that ‘refuse” to move in order to maintain or maximize their rotation and dps.  You can Chain Heal through them and will get solid bounces to the other melee dps and even the tanks.  An alternate approach is to Riptide one of the tanks and one of the melee dps and Chain Heal through them.

3.  I also try to maximize the synergy between Riptide – Chain Heal – High Tide and Riptide – Healing Wave procs from Tidal Waves.  You have the right approach there.

4.  Another potential area for increasing your healing output is to look at your ranged dps grp.  There are probably 1 or 2 that prefer to take dmg to maintain their rotation or dps and a quick Riptide + Healing Wave will heal them for a good bit.

Specific ToS fights.

1.  I change my approach from AoE heavy healing to single-target healing for Host and Avatar due to the wide spread of the raid team.  For Host I am also usually in the normal realm and while my hps drops in this fight no one dies due to my inability to heal them (most of the time).  For these two fights I also swap to a stat stick + Velen’s.

2. For the other fights I heal in the same manner you describe.  Keeping Healing Rain on the melee pile, Riptide on 1 tank and 1 melee dps (our non-mover is a Ret Pally) at a minimum, Chain Heal through a raider with Riptide ticking and work to maximize Tidal Wave procs.  I drop HST and Gift of the Queen on CD, and EST, SLT, and HTT when they are called for or at pre-determined points in our fights.

Since you have not mained a healer before it will take some time to get a feel” for the nuiances of being a healer and as I stated in my original post you have a strong healing team.

If this fails to address your concerns let me know and I will re-engage to assist in any way I can.

All the Best — Mahlaa (Stormrage)

P.S.  Looking at your logs there are no areas that jump out that point to you doing anything “wrong.”

Mahlaa
    Participant

A point I failed to mention earlier, it is more difficult to be the 2nd healer of the same class and spec on a raid team and at this point in time Ninsly out-gears you and only time and favorable RNG will close that gap.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.